[TowerTalk] Hi, just joined - saying hi + some Q's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hi, just joined - saying hi + some Q's
From: bear <bear@bearlabs.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 20:04:47 -0400
Hello Tower dudes?

Just now joined because I was directed this way from a thread I started on QRZ about using the falling derrick method to raise towers. Not much useful info came back.

Was looking for actual numbers/equations/etc. to make certain that IF I go this way that I am 99.9% safe in terms of knowing the stresses and forcesat play, and well over the minimums.

(nice videos on Yoohootube, etc, but that's not engineering information)

We can burn that bridge later...

...anyhow I am looking at acquiring ~100ft of Rohn 45, old, but in good shape... on the ground now.
Need to make a decision, aka Go-NoGo.

(btw, what do you folks think a "very good" price for that would be? I have no real clue what things like
this go for these days...)

My thing is that I am not likely to want to climb that much tower. Actually, I won't. Hiring local companies is likely a budget breaker (except in emergency/extreme situations), and I don't know of any local hams who climb.
And relying on just one person, not a great idea.

The deal comes with a Rohn break-over section, but that won't get me the height I would like as they are limited in the number of sections
above and below that point.
But I can make 90-100ft with the rest of the sections.

All good.

So, baby steps...

Can anyone point to a good site that covers the *method* for pulling up guys, BEFORE you get to final tensioning?? In other words, close enough so that you can use a turnbuckle... frankly, I don't know.

I've put up 1/2 arse crank ups, but they were away from all structures, in the woods, and if they fell, so what... besides the crunched beam at the top that is... they never fell. But that wasn't a 90-100ft piece of Rohn 45.

I throw myself at the mercy of the group.

                _-_-bear aka WB2GCR