[TowerTalk] Fan Dipole

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole
From: Edward Seeliger <eseeliger@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 20:06:35 -0400 (EDT)
I read this site a great deal but seldom post.

My yard doesn't have space for multiple low band verticals over radial fields.

I have used "fan dipoles" hung off the side of my tower for many years - my
current one is for 80/160m in Inverted Vee configuration. They are separate
dipoles spaced 3-5 feet at the center insulator and fed with a single coax with
Tee/Right angle connectors as required. The ends are tied off separately with
cord to convenient trees. I will add 40m tomorrow (just happened to be doing it
this weekend) so the discussion has been timely for me. They each load/perform
quite well. Yes, they are noisy.

I disagree with the statement that a 160m dipole/inverted vee does not work
well - I have worked much long haul DX (Indian Ocean/South Atlantic Ocean) on
160 with it!

Thanks to Dan for the reference for the SRI/US Army paper and the information
from AutoEZ.

Edd - KD5M