[TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:26:00 -0700
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:10:04 -0700
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi question

On 10/11/2017 10:11 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  Aluminum only  conducts  60% as good as copper.  .25 inch OD copper  =
> .417 inch OD  aluminum.

> Jim   VE7RF

<That is only true at frequencies below which skin effect is
<significant.  For RF frequencies, you need to take the
<square root of 60% which comes out to 77%.
<1/4 inch copper = 5/16 inch aluminum.

<Rick N6RK

##  are u sure about that ?   K6STI coil software doesnt depict that effect.
Nor does other software.... unless they
are both wrong.   I also used Termans equations..and did it by hand.   They all
concur.   This was calculating ESR.
That was done at 7.1 mhz.   I was only interested in 40M  at the time...so did
not  try higher freqs.    I did try 80m,
and got the same results.   Al  vs  CU.   In this case, the AL tubing had to be
aprx .642  OD  to equal the ESR of
.375  CU tubing.   Closest thing to that is .625..which is readily available.

##  I also tried removing the cu tubing tank coil in one of my amps..and
replacing it with an AL tubing coil... and both are the
same  .25 OD, and aprx the same wall thickness.   Uh was identical, as was the
turns, spacing between turns,  and also OD
and ID of new AL tank coil.   Did not have to touch the tune and load either,
dead on.   Aluminum  coil ran hot.....  go figure.
Those tank coil tests were all done on 15M.

##  alumoweld wire..and also copper clad or copper bonded steel is another
issue.... but I have not done any exhaustive tests on those..yet.
I did notice that stuff like  RG-303  with its silver plating, which is over
the copper bonding..which is over the steel core..... on software,
appears to flat line about 9.2 mhz and below... power wise.   My guess is, the
skin depth is deep enough such that the current is now into the steel core.
RG-400  doesnt have that issue,  nor does RG-142.   RG-304 also has a steel
core..same issues.

##  But what the heck do I know,.. I just experiment.  Besides,  copper tuning
is cheap at any home depot or supply house.   Then I silver plate it
with the cool-amp goop...just so it looks nice.  Bare copper drives me nuts, I
lose sleep over it, looks un finished to me.

Later.... Jim   VE7RF