Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding connection to tower legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding connection to tower legs
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 07:04:57 -0400
These look very nice if you use copper wire but I do not think they will
work if you use copper strap.

What do broadcast stations use?

John KK9A

To:     <towertalk@contesting.com>
From:   "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date:   Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:01:37 -0400

Jeff,

Not sure about your time line, but if you're not in a rush, you can often
find surplus Harger pipe ground clamps on the web and the big auction site.
New pricing is kinda' steep through Graybar and other industrial suppliers.
However, they're excellent for this purpose as they have a 1/4-inch threaded
SS bolt for attachment of a ground wire or hardline ground kit.  I am using
a set of these at the top of 140 ft. and 100 ft. Pirod towers.  Each ground
kit connects there while the lower tower base already has grounding plates
to connect another set of hardline grounding kits.

http://www.harger.com/library/brochures/CPC-Brochure.pdf

NEC article 810 discusses tower and mast grounding and bonding.  810.21(K)
states: "The grounding conductor must be securely fastened in place." Not
very descriptive, is it?   I would only use a SS hose clamp as a temporary
connection until I found the Harger clamps (or equivalent) at a reasonable
price.

Paul, W9AC