Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs
From: "Kevin Stover, AC0H" <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:03:26 -0500
Leave the galvination in place.
I don't think you have to mess with paste or paint of any sort.
I would protect the connection from weather.

On 10/15/2017 10:31 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

  Do not remove the galvanization. Just put some layer of Vaseline or some
other gunk that wouldn't come off. You can even use paint. Wrap you shim around
it while the paint is still wet, clamp it with you SS clamp and you should be
all set.

The pressure of the clamp through the thin shim will cause high pressure
spot-wise. That will penetrate the paint layer and cause the electric contact.
The contact spots will be surrounded by a, hopefulle, water tight layer of
gunk, which will reduce the corrosion.

I have an aluminum tower myself and aluminum wires for the ground connection
which reduce the corrosion possibility.

Hans - N2JFS