Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??
From: bear <bear@bearlabs.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:42:05 -0400

From:"john@kk9a.com"  <john@kk9a.com>
To:towertalk@contesting.com

I have all tapered bottom pier pin bases with star guys and I never heard
any noise or saw base movement. It is important that the concrete base can
handle the downward force and that it will not slide sideways. The tower
anchors are extremely important so you still have the challenge of digging
those three holes though the shale, following the factory specifications.

John KK9A
John,

This has been a big hold-up.
The guy anchors.
My thinking has been anchor reybar IN the shale, pour concrete, guy point then being part of the reinforcing structure. AKA, have to pull out and up the shale for a failure. SO, how deep or over what surface area/how deep does one have to sink holes into the shale??

There's no "digging" through a solid shale surface that shows scrapes from glaciation! :D
(been there a long time)