Re: [TowerTalk] right sizing strap for tower connections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] right sizing strap for tower connections
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 07:44:33 -0700
On 10/16/17 5:10 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
In the discussion of the ground connection, a mix of guys commented or sent pics of round conductors where others are using strap.  The general comment was that strap is better which I think means lower R & L for the run.

Strap has lower AC resistance - good if you're providing a ground connection for a transmitting tower and you want to minimize loss.

Strap and round have about the same inductance.

For a fast pulse like lightning (about 1 microsecond rise time), inductance will dominate as far as *voltage rise* goes, but the *heating* is from resistance.

But in lightning protection, the heating is small, compared to the energy needed to melt the conductor. That's why you see AWG 10 wire used to ground telephone poles and such - it will carry the lightning stroke current.. sure the top of the pole is at a much higher voltage than the bottom, but the current still flows.

So if you need to keep two things at the same voltage - short is better, the shape doesn't matter. If you want low loss (it's part of a transmitting antenna), worry about resistance and use strap.

For the most part, it's a lot easier to drill holes and bolt flat conductors than round ones.

At the outset I was planning to use 3-gauge stranded insulated wire which I have a lot of on hand.  Wire would run from the tower leg clamp, over to the edge of the concrete and then down to a copper ring bus where the individual runners to the rest in-ground stuff was.

Sounds like a decent plan.

But for the conductor run from tower leg to ground system I am wondering what width of strap would be better than the 3 gauge stranded wire. While I realize that wider is better on the strap width, I wonder what width of strap would approximate the 3-gauge wire?

For lightning protection, it doesn't matter if you use wire or strap - so use what you have and can securely attach.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Clay Autery