Re: [TowerTalk] Getting a stuck wire antenna out of a tree

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Getting a stuck wire antenna out of a tree
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 18:46:14 -0000
Lets see-saw...
1. chain saw
2. pole saw
3. saw attached to a drone... (have you seen the video of them trimming trees
on a power line right of way from a helicopter?  Nasty!)
4. saw(or wire cutter) on a wire crawler that climbs the wire and cuts it at
the top thus falling to an early death.  Something like this:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/georgia-tech-tarzan-robot-swings-around-on-wires
5. a wire saw (thin survival saw that coils up) tie long ropes on each side of
it and put it over the problem wire.  pull the problem wire out as far as you
can, even if you have to add rope to it to get the wire saw as high as
possible.  Use the ropes on the wire saw to slide it up as far into the tree as
you can, then use a sawing motion with the two ropes to cut the wire.
depending on how high it is you could thread the problem wire through pvc
conduit and keep adding sections to push the wire saw as far up as you can
before cutting.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373