Re: [TowerTalk] guage of wire for 500 watt antenna?

To: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guage of wire for 500 watt antenna?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 19:50:54 -0800
If you can get vertical antennas within 1/2 RF wavelength of the tide line, you will outperform any dipole by many db's at low DX angles. I used the longest MFJ telescopic whip and two tuned radials elevated 3' on 3 dxpeditions and had a great signal seaward for 20 thru 10. One pair of radials with banana plug jumpers around insulators for 3 bands and the other set of radials for 2 bands. I put up two of these verticals for faster band changes. I used a SteppIR CrankIR with one radial for 40 and 80. See "Verticals on the Beach - Some Modeling Results", QST June 2016.

Grant KZ1W