Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Common Mode Choke with Anritsu VNA
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 05:47:50 -0700
That's "good enough" agreement for me:-)

Wes  N7WS

On 1/5/2018 3:30 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
Measuring high-Z chokes accurately is challenging, and it's easy to become obsessive about this stuff. I know because I'm probably one of the worst offenders :)

But then I ask myself:: if an uncompensated 0.5pF jig capacitance, or uncompensated jig leads 1 inch long, cause an error in the choke measurement that is operationally significant, variations in choke installation method will likely have the same effect and more. On top of that we have to remember the tolerance in ferrite characteristics - variously quoted as 25%. So why strive for measurement accuracy that has little direct relevance to most real-world installations?

Steve G3TXQ