Re: [TowerTalk] S21 to Rp & Cp - Equivalent Circuit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] S21 to Rp & Cp - Equivalent Circuit
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 10:18:50 -0800
You're over-Excelling the problem, Maximo. Best to go back to fundamentals. A simple parallel resonant circuit looks like an inductor below resonance and a capacitor above resonance. Go far enough away from resonance and the other terms become increasing insignificant.

To find Lp, take one or more measured Z values well down in amplitude and frequency from the resonant peak (say 1/20 of both) and use the simple equation for X = 2 pi F L   Far below resonance, Z becomes approximately equal to XL, so use the measured value for Z at some low frequency and solve that equation for L.  Do that at 2-3 frequencies, and you should get values for Lp that are quite close to each other.

73, Jim K9YC