Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Connection

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Connection
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 11:09:35 -0800 (PST)
For my rohn 55 tower I found some metal electrical boxes at habitate for
humanities that serve the purpose of mounting MOV's on the control wires for
rotor, remote switch and steppir antenna. It's mounted on an 8' galvanized
ground rod that also has a galvanized plate where the Polyphaser lightning
arrestors are. Seems to be working out well inspite of Oregon rains. Also added
a couple more 8' ground rods placed at least 16' from one another around the
tower with heavy copper wire running to them from the tower legs. The LMR-400
coax runs through the lighting arrestors and schedule 40 PVC to the shack about
168' away. Plan on trying to upgrade it to some Comscope 1/2" 75 ohm hardline I
got a spool of for free if I can come up with a good way to mount PL-259's on
it. Don't think the 75 ohm will be too much of a problem and to look at it 1500
watts should work OK.

Tree, N6TR did the stacking and I'm well pleased. I did the cutting and
installing of the ceramic insulators on the four sets of guy wires. About 75
plus insulators. Also all the concrete work with the help of a couple of young
friends. One in particular dug the three anchor holes. The holes were a big
concern for me but my young friend was a good worker and it turned out to be
not quite a big of job as I though. For the tower base I rented a Kabota
backhole and tried my hand at backhole work. Ended up a much wider base than
need be but just more 60# sacks of concrete mix. A lot of those sacks but
getting a concrete truck into my location would have been hell. Used my pickup
to carry about 5 loads of concrete sacks each about 25-30 of them.

The tower now stands 117' foot high with the 3 element steppir a foot or so
above it and working well. Bigger that I ever though I would have. Now if we
could get some decent propagation.

Terry

KI7M