Re: [TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 10:25:12 -0800
On 2/1/2018 8:34 AM, Chuck Chandler wrote:
So, in about 2 years or so She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be moving
again.  I will be finally retired and am hoping to build a modest station
that will satisfy my goals.

Hi Chuck,

Thinking about towers and antenna choices at this stage is putting the cart WAY before the horse. It is FAR more important to think about real estate, neighbors (ideally the lack of), and terrain. Neighbors bring RF noise. If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em. Most "developments," which includes most homes, come with restrictions that prevent ANY antenna, and lots of neighbors with lots of noise.

Terrain can be a major plus or minus. A QTH on even a modest rise that provides a downward slope in the direction of the DX can be good for 10 dB. I've got a long downslope to the Pacific, so I'm strong anywhere in the Pacific -- VK/ZL, JA, BA, JT, etc., but I'm 200 ft below a ridge to the east, especially northeast, so I have a hard time into EU.

Tall trees can hold dipoles, which are great for 80 and 40 if they're high enough. There's a piece in QST this month about trees absorbing RF from VERTICAL antennas. They have much less effect on horizontal antennas. I suggest you take a look at my applications note on Antenna Planning.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

If you want to work 160 in a serious way, you'll want a vertical, and you'll need some form of counterpoise. If you have a tower, you can load it. Here are slides for a talk I've given at Pacificon and Visalia about antenna planning for 160.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC