Re: [TowerTalk] Al-to-Al

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Al-to-Al
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:42:52 -0600
Conductors (at least metals) are rated on an electromotive scale.  The farther apart they are on the scale the greater the voltage generated when an electrolyte is present. Stick a piece of aluminum into a lemon (citric acid solution for electrolyte) and also stick in a piece of copper and touch the two metals with your multimeter probes and note the voltage.  Switch over to current measurement and see the short circuit current the little battery will produce.

When dissimilar metals (different ratings on the electromotive scale) touch in the presence of an electrolyte (acid rain, salty ocean breeze, etc current flows and the less noble metal is eaten away by  electrolysis (AKA electrolytic corrosion.)

Zinc particles in an oil or grease base are protected from contact with an electrolyte. When a joint has Penetrox or other equivalent zinc particle bearing paste in it and is tightened the zinc particles are in contact with the two substrate materials to be joined, promoting good conductance and are protected from galvanic action by the oil/grease.  By itself zinc is not magic and will corrode easily.  You wouldn't want to use zinc washers in place of the zinc particle loaded paste.

Replaceable pieces of zinc are used on prop shafts and propellors to protect the shaft and prop from damage by electrolysis. The zinc is considered a "sacrificial element" as it is eaten away by electrolysis while protecting the prop and shaft. Many of the 6 gal water heaters found on RVs have replaceable sacrificial zinc rods in them. In that service corrosion of the replaceable zinc is intentional to protect other components.  In joining aluminum antenna components you don't want corrosion and the zinc in the paste is not intended to be sacrificed to protect the aluminum.

Anyone want to design sacrificial zincs to put on antennas?

Patrick        NJ5G