Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Canada geese

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Canada geese
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:07:51 -0600
I have a quite robust modern recently purchased electric fence charger that puts out peak voltage spikes of over 10KV. Goes off scale on my digital Kilovolt meter with max displayable reading of 10KV. It has a transformer that emits a very audible click/thump when handling the once per second rep rate pulses. It is very noticeable on 160 through 6 meter bands.  The charger itself is inside an all metal building (Faraday cage,) while the fence of course (not inside the building) acts as a transmit antenna for the RFI.  Luckily I have some noise blanking options on my Flex 5000 A  and one of them makes the RFI pulses inaudible.

There may be a charger out there somewhere that doesn't cause RFI but not the powerful ones I use or other cattlemen in the area use.  Even if a charger does not radiate significant RFI itself nor propagates RFI via its big antenna (fence) with dew or rain on the insulators, a blade of grass, weed or whatever gets within arcing distance and you will get RFI from those arcs.  Slinky gates and such with a little corrosion on their contacting surfaces (where you open and close the  gate) will arc sometimes. Arcs make wideband RFI.

Patrick        NJ5G