Re: [TowerTalk] Canada geese

To: Bill <bmarx@bellsouth.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Canada geese
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:21:39 -0600
Bill, The boating community often recommends plastic snakes to keep birds from roosting and pooping all over your boat.  With over 30 years of boating experience in the San Diego California region I witnessed lots of folks using plastic snakes.  You can tell the new guys at the yacht club by their  new plastic snakes. Over time the birds get used to the snakes and totally ignore them.

 I know of no long term success with plastic snakes.  Experienced boaters I have known agreed that collectively we had never seen a long term success using plastic snakes.   Phony owls are also touted but they too lose effectiveness fairly rapidly.  I've seen birds perched on the owls head pooping on it.

Geese and other birds have hearing that extends higher in freq than normal humans.  I say normal because in my mid 20's my left ear went to 21,500 Hz and my right ear went to about 20,500 Hz.  I could hear bats feeding, ultrasonic alarms, etc. Now I wear $6000 hearing aids from the VA thanks to small arms fire and other loud noises.

Something that works and doesn't lose efficacy from birds getting used to it is ultrasonics used intermittently more or less randomly unless used with IR motion detector or other detection apparatus.  I have used ultrasonics very successfully to keep away various pests including birds.  Places with large flocks of geese have nice lawns "goose greased" so badly you can't walk through without getting your shoes messed up. I have recommended ultrasonics to lakefront home owners who had great success with repelling their Canada geese.  The geese soon learned to avoid that lawn and stay on his neighbors lawns farther from the transducers.  Word spread and some of his neighbors went ultrasound also with great success.  Only a few houses stayed unprotected, a couple were only used a week or two a year, did not add ultrasound (that I am aware of) but were partially protected by neighbors with ultrasound.

Geese have pretty good ultrasonic hearing.  To them bursts of high levels of ultrasound is what having a steam whistle go off in our ear is like. Some ultrasound pest repellent gear has selectable freq bands so you can avoid bugging cats and dogs or include cats and dogs and they will avoid the area too.

Decades back the lab where I worked had an oceanographic tower anchored to the bottom of the ocean just off the coast from San Diego.  Seagulls used it for a big bird perch and pooped all over everything on it.  Seagulls were captured and "lightly tortured" within limits of animal cruelty organizations and their distress cries were recorded.  These were played back at random intervals and worked pretty good but over time lost effectiveness.  You don't get used to pain from powerful ultrasound, it always hurts if you can hear it.

Patrick        NJ5G