Re: [TowerTalk] vertical feedpoint and phased verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical feedpoint and phased verticals
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 09:58:41 -0800
Hi Kelly,

A common mode choke will be most effective if placed at the antenna feedpoint, but all practical chokes I know of THAT WORK must be placed at a point where the antenna is matched and fairly close to the Z of the choke. I've never used full wave loops, and don't know what the Z is at the feedpoint. If, for example, the choke is 1/4 wave from the antenna, any noise picked up on that 1/4 wave length of feedline will couple to the antenna.

A choke wound from a pair of enameled #12 has Zo of about 53 ohms; #12 or #10 THHN is about 93 ohms; #12 Teflon is about 105 ohms.

73, Jim K9YC