Re: [TowerTalk] Why isn't end to end the best method for least interfere

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why isn't end to end the best method for least interference between two 20 m dipoles?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:16:50 -0700
Jim has correctly identified the problem.  For dipoles to have nulls they must be flat, or very close to flat.

For at least 5 years, we've run simultaneous CW and SSB on 80M and 40M using dipoles for each band that were approximately colinear and with about that spacing for a CQP county expedition. It takes serious radios -- we  use K3s driving KPA500s on both bands (500W).

We've run two stations simultaneously on 20, 15, and 10 using tri-banders that were approximately con-linear with about 200 ft spacing.

Kip asked about reference material. The ARRL Antenna Book is a great place to start. The CD that comes with it includes a stripped-down free version of EZNEC that is good enough to model (and study) simple antennas like dipoles and verticals. You'll need a more capable version that you'll have to pay for to model more complex antennas.

The ON4UN book is also great for antennas for 40, 80, and 160. And there are some tutorial things on my website. k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC