[TowerTalk] XM240 SWR plots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] XM240 SWR plots
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:44:48 -0700
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 15:39:53 -0700
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 SWR plots

<  When I first got my MonstIR up, I took
advantage of the fact that I could adjust the length of the three
elements individually.  Just to prove a point, I tuned up the antenna
the usual way for CW (all 3 elements optimized); then I QSYed the
radio to the phone band.  The SWR was not ridiculously high and a
radio with a tuner could drive it.  I retuned just the driven element to
get the best SWR I could, without changing the parasitic elements.
That improved the SWR somewhat.  However, as expected, the antenna
suffered a substantial drop in gain and F/B ratio to where it wasn't
much better than a rotatable dipole.

Rick N6RK

##  IF  you had left all 3 els alone... and just say used a tuner, did the FB /
FR /gain drop off  at upper end of band ?
When I see typ plots of  3 el yagis, tuned for the lower part of the band, the
gain actually increases a tiny bit towards
the top of the band.... meanwhile ..at top of band, the swr and FB / FS  go
straight to hell..quick like.

Jim  VE7RF