Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Services

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w0jx@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Services
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 17:30:21 -0700
I agree with Wes, you can make a lot of progress with the tool you have plus AutoEZ. The iterating on designs to understand the issues and optimize for what you want is very time consuming. Dozens of hours, maybe 100s. More than that for the arrays I modeled and discarded. At skilled engineer consultant rates that's going to be expensive vs an commercial antenna or proven handbook design. If I were such a person in a business I'd rather take a fee plus a piece of the action, one off's don't sound so attractive IMO.

It will also require an EZNEC/NEC commercial license as a paid consultant is a business. That rules out most if not all folks on towertalk (unless a commercial licensee pops up).

Most vertical arrays will model fine without NEC 4. Once you've got a good design, then it might be reasonable to ask around for a free NEC4 final verification. There are an infinite number of antenna concepts that might work, but really not a huge number that are proven to really work.

For perspective, Greg Ordy W8WWV spent a lot of time on one array, see http://seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur%20Radio/Experimentation/40%20Meter%20Delta%20Loop%20Array.htm Check out his other work and that by W8JI. My effort at 80m phased delta loops never got past extensive modeling because of problems that weren't solvable in my situation (by me).

Grant KZ1W