Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:01:58 -0700
On 4/23/18 11:13 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
Aluminum flashing is wide (low inductance) and can easily be cut to a custom width if required.

The problem with flashing and rectangular bars, of all materials, is that it's convenient for some kinds of connections (flat bolted), but not particularly convenient for routing.

From a "I have to bond this flat plate with a bunch of connectors" standpoint, I think a standard crimp lug on stranded wire is probably easiest *if you have the tools*. Ditto for stacking on a antenna tower bolt, etc.

If you don't have the right crimping tool, then it's a bit more tough - so it might be worth finding someone in your area that can do the crimps for you. (Welding suppliers? Solar Panel installers? A local electrician? I don't know..)

The cost difference between aluminum and copper is substantial on a per pound (or volume) basis, but how many pounds is a typical amateur installation doing.

Copper AWG2 insulated wire from Home Depot costs $1.22/ft in small lengths. Aluminum is $0.43/ft.

But, with aluminum, you do have all the corrosion, dissimilar metal things... If you're running 50 ft, you're looking at a cost difference of $40.

Another, more subtle aspect is that your friendly local inspector will be familiar with "wire", not with "strap". Bolted connections, crimped lugs, #2 wire is something they see every day.

Patrick        NJ5G