[TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:57:01 -0400
Aluminum flashing is very inexpensive. I am not sure what effect this has
regarding lightning protection but aluminum is 60% as conductive as
copper. It is also susceptible to connection corrosion issues so using
using conductive grease is important.

John KK9A

Hans Hammarquist wrote:

 Hi Tom,

I am using aluminum straps for my grounding runs. I found 6" wide traps in
the garden department (don't remember what department store it was.
Probably Walmart). The strips are use as edging around flower bads. They
were on sale as it was the end of the season if i remember right. They
came in rolls of 10 feet and have some means to be connected together in
longer runs (although I don't think that connection is of any value from
an electrical point).

I think it's a better idea to use aluminum as you are using an aluminum
plate at each end and there would be less issue regarding possible
corrosion if you use similar material in the plates and the grounding
strip. Aluminum strips are cheaper too, I believe.

Just my 10 cents,

Hans - N2JFS