Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Vertical Radials

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Vertical Radials
From: Dan Maguire <danac6la@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 15:08:39 -0700
Grant wrote:
>>> Developing a model for the steel building 56' x 70' x 14' is easier now
>>> with not yet tried tools in EZNEC 6.

As Grant alluded to, as of EZNEC v6.0.14 a new topic has been added to
the Help manual which gives step by step instructions for creating a
wire grid. Click on Help > Contents, then on the "Contents" tab of the
Help window navigate to Test Drive > Plus Octane Fill Up.

https://postimg.cc/image/vnk76b36j/

You'll find detailed instructions on how to easily create this:

https://postimg.cc/image/89c7ufazf/

BTW, the most recent EZNEC update is v6.0.16. To see a list of changes
in the various EZNEC v6 maintenance updates:

http://eznec.com/Updates60.html

For instructions on downloading maintenance updates:

http://eznec.com/ez60updates/index.html

For AutoEZ users, see the 4th section on this page for a detailed
example of using the AutoEZ Wire Grid button (above the "For
Information Only" columns on the Wires tab):

https://ac6la.com/aecreate.html

There you will find an example showing how to create this:

https://postimg.cc/image/geu9smoyj/

>>> PS any chance you are at SeaPac now?

No, but Roy is there today (Friday, 6/1) giving an all day workshop on
antenna modeling.  See "Schedule" at https://www.seapac.org/ .
Hopefully his slides will be available at some point in the future.

And Jim wrote:
>>> ... and while NEC 4 will handle buried conductors, there's some fairly
>>> idiosyncratic things about it.

Although I don't think Jim is an EZNEC user that reminds me of another
EZNEC "things to remember" that may not be obvious.  For EZNEC Pro/4
v6 users, the NEC-4 "extended accuracy" ground corrects some of the
idiosyncrasies that Jim mentioned.  However, use of extended accuracy
ground is not the default since it requires more processing time and
is not needed in most cases.  In the EZNEC v6 Help under "Real Ground
Types":

<quote>
Extended Accuracy

This ground model is available only with EZNEC Pro/4 when using an
NEC-4 calculating engine. It's the GN3 ground type introduced in
NEC-4.2, and gives significantly improved accuracy in some situations,
including ones where the ground conductivity and/or dielectric
constant are outside the range normally encountered for Earth ground
or water. There can be, however, a high price to be paid for this
improvement: Extended Accuracy ground slows impedance calculation by
approximately a factor of four. This is the dominant time consuming
part of the overall calculation with large models, so Extended
Accuracy ground should be used only when needed, especially when the
model is large. Extended Accuracy ground shares the limitation of High
Accuracy ground in that the ground is assumed to be homogeneous to an
infinite depth.
</quote>

To experiment with "extended accuracy" ground (NEC-4 type GN3) click
Options > Default NEC-4 Ground Type.

Dan, AC6LA
https://ac6la.com