Re: [TowerTalk] Putting up wire antennas with a drone?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Putting up wire antennas with a drone?
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 10:26:52 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Gang,

I read the QST article and have listened to all the comments.  I have used
several methods to put up wire antennas including the commercial sling shot, a
bow and arrow, and an airgun. The airgun is best for my location.  I have many
trees and heavy branches and leaves so using a drone would be expensive if it
got tangled or broken apart in my trees.  An arrow or weight are acceptable
losses for me but a drone is not. I have a 80 meter vertical dipole caught is a
tree so I will have to use a tree climber to unhook and put a rope over that
tree.  I have a W9IIX tower offset at 67 feet and will use that for the
horizontal end of a dipole L I plan for 160. I can use the airgun but must wait
until the the leaves come down in the late fall unless I want to pay the tree
climber to also climb that tree.

Using a drone is OK if you can control the drone and have branches that are not
too thick.

Dave K4JRB