Re: [TowerTalk] T2X brake wedge

To: Kenneth Goodwin <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X brake wedge
From: Charles Gallo <charlie@thegallos.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 13:09:32 -0400
The pitting (technically brinelling) of the bearing is typical of ANY ball or
roller bearing with intermittent or stationary use, with even vibration!
(Classic study of auto wheel bearing and rail shipping if you study vibration
failure)
You either WAY over design, or use a solid bearing. Classic in the old days was
bronze, but you had lubrication issues.
Today, the answer is...plastic
Filled nylons, filled acetyl, filled Teflon (stop cold flow issues if high
load), or if the budget is there, torlon or vespel. The latter two are so
expensive, once you get past prototype, it pays to have custom molds made, and
cast the smallest part you can to finished shape, but I'm fairly sure a disk
say one inch wide, with a 6-8 id (aka a big washer) 1/8 thick would hold a
large rotating tower with no problems

--
73 de KG2V
Charlie