[TowerTalk] FW: T2X brake wedge

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: T2X brake wedge
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 02:13:38 -0500
For what it's worth... here's some mods that I have implemented over the
years to improve the reliability of my HyGain rotor installations.   I gave
up on TB3's in favor of (oversized) flanged pillow block bearings with
homemade storm collars for the very reason that Ken & Charlie mention.   I
float my rotor shelves to make them continuously self-aligning.  I also use
homemade spacers under the rotors to raise the rotor (about 3/8") off the
shelf which greatly reduces the rainwater pooling/splashing up into the
lower rotor bearings.   Other mods include replacing the terminal strips on
the rotors with aluminum plates which hold waterproof cable collets.   I
transition the internal rotor wiring inside the rotor to a cable whip and
then bring it out to an external J-box (again with waterproof collets) for
making the down lead connections.   I also use commercial grade run
capacitors mounted inside the J-box for use with Arduino based rotor
controllers.   Each of these mode came about to address past points of
failure, so perhaps someone may find them of use...  or prompt some new
ideas.  The HyGains tend to stay around because parts are relatively easy to
acquire and they are easy to rebuild, unlike the Yaesu rotors which are
essentially non-serviceable & throw-away.

On another note I have a pair of TICGENs but not installed yet...  I don't
have any experience with these so I would appreciate hearing about any
lessons learned if you have used them.

73
Matt
KM5VI