Re: [TowerTalk] Do some HF Tri-Banders receive more noise than others?

To: <rlvz@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do some HF Tri-Banders receive more noise than others?
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 14:11:48 -0400
Dick,

Are your antennas at the same height or different heights?  Is the grounding of
each tower the same?  Did you use the identical RF chokes on each antenna?

Any differences of these factors could dramatically affects differences in
noise level experienced between antennas pointed in the same direction;
especially differences in height and RF chokes.

I would also look at proximity of the towers to potential noise sources.  If a
potential noise source is 50’ from tower 1 and 150’ from tower 2, that alone
could make a 1+ s-unit difference in noise level, depending on the type of
noise source and its polarization.

And differences in physical proximity to the noise source could also affect the
beam heading to that noise source for each antenna.  So, for example, in the
event of a noise source 50’ from tower 1 at beam heading peaking 270 degrees,
at 150’ from tower 2, that noise source might have a beam heading dramatically
different.  Just another potential factor to consider.

I do also believe that the physical design comes into play – from my own
experiences, even some monobanders pick up more noise than others.  I have to
believe that that would also hold true for tribanders even if the physics are
different.

73

Bob KQ2M