Re: [TowerTalk] Do some HF Tri-Banders receive more noise than others?

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do some HF Tri-Banders receive more noise than others?
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:20:47 -0400
Hello Dick, K9OM:

I have two separate antennas systems on 20, 15 and 10 meters (six systems)
that should be of interest to your question - where I have two stations on
each of these bands. One antenna system is for the RUN station and one
antenna system is for the Search and Pounce (S&P) station (TX interlocked)
at K3LR.

All of the RUN antenna stacks are made from OWA Yagi antennas which have all
elements insulated from the boom with a direct 50 ohm feed from a good coax
current choke (5000 ohms of CMI or better).

The Search and Pounce stacks here (currently) are M2 antennas with grounded
parasitic elements and a DC ground hairpin feed (also 50 ohms). Also using
high quality greater than 5000 ohms CMI common mode feedline chokes.

So the 20, 15 and 10 RUN stacks all use ungrounded elements and the S&P
stacks all use grounded elements currently at K3LR.

At this station - there is no change in the band noise from one antenna
system to the other (nor would I expect there to be) - as listened to on two
radios (same make and model) side by side at the same time. This is physics
and neither the matching system nor the element mount should have any effect
on received noise.

This summer I am changing out the M2 20 meter and 15 meter Yagis' and
replacing them with OWA antennas (ungrounded elements) to increase the VSWR
and pattern performance of the S&P stacked arrays at K3LR.

You tribanders should have close to the same back ground noise. However the
Skyhawk should be more efficient (full size elements).  I suspect you have a
local noise problem or as K9YC comments - you have a feedline issue picking
up noise. This can be cured with high performance chokes at the feedpoints
and using correct grounding and bonding techniques (see K9YC's website). It
may also require additional feedline chokes (I do this) at the antenna
switch or at your radio to make the feedlines "cold" to noise mitigation
issues. You could have some loose hardware on the Skyhawk (or close to it).

73
Tim K3LR