Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 21:20:58 -0400
On 8/21/18 8:57 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
> To me it's a no-brainer. We need to speak
> up. We have to let others know what is
> happening. I posted this to this list, it
> was first on the Elecraft list so I
> brought it to the attention to us on this
> list. Others if you care about what
> closing WWV means, should do the same or
> the message will not get spread and WWV
> may likely cease to be.

What does WWV/H provide that's not better provided by multiple new redundant
systems?

Time is able to be provided by NTP over the public internet to within 10 ms.
1588 can get this down to the sub microsecond.

Frequency can be provided must more accurate via GPS/GNSS, and for $100 you
can get a GPSDO which provides 10mhz and phase down to 10^-13.

Prorogation reports?  The internet provides them faster and with more detail.

Not one company makes a HF disciplined reference:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwv/manufacturers-time-and-frequency-receivers

Other than whimsical radio memories, I don't see much value to WWV/H.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net