Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn EP instructions: "Stake all nuts"; what does it mea

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn EP instructions: "Stake all nuts"; what does it mean?
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:57:43 -0400

> "Stake all nuts after assembly"

Real staking of nuts requires you deform them from a flat side, but the term
is also meant to mean deforming the threads of the bolt as close as you can
to the edge of the nut.

Here in PA, I've heard the term "Pittsburgh swage" to mean deforming the nut
via staking, but I think that may be a yinzer thing...

> Do I torque the regular nut nice and tight with
> a wrench, then install the PAL?

Yes.

> Do I tighten
> the PAL nut finger tight, or gently tighten it
> just a little with a wrench.

Finger-tighten, then just snug a few degrees more with a wrench.  The Palnut
doesn't have much strength on its own so don't put muscle into it or you'll
strip it out and it won't do any good.

Personally, I prefer Anco nuts over using regular nuts and a Palnut.  Rohn
was always pretty big on Palnuts, even in the professional world of big
towers.  Other manufacturers, not so much - you tend to see Anco's often.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A

---