Re: [TowerTalk] Learning from Tragedies

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Learning from Tragedies
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 21:09:21 -0400
On 10/12/18 19:29 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:

There has got to be more to this story.

I have personal experience that Rohn 25, with a 2 element 40, and a TH6DXX
at the top will self stand at 120' with three sets of guys, when one
deadman is unhooked.
In other words, 3 sets (3 levels) of guys, on only 2 sides of the tower,
all tensioned to 400 Lbs each. I had to cut one of the base legs to get it
to fall over.

1 yard+ of concrete in the base.

What a tragedy when this happens to someone on someone elses tower. I had
it happen to a good friend in Spokane, K7VNT. May Tony rest in peace.

Correct, on a calm day, 120' of Rohn 25 stuck in concrete will stand on it's own. And if shackles need safety wires, then guy wires need safety wires as well.

What DID happen, we don't know yet.

-Steve K8LX