Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5
From: <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 05:54:45 -0600
I'm about to make a decision between the 4 el SteppIR 20-6m and the 16 el
version of the Optibeam Log-Yagi. Whichever way I go that antenna with the
JK402T I'm going to stack above it will be turned by a K7NV prop pitch
rotor.

Unlike the SteppIr, which has almost single handedly revived the crank up
tower market because the antenna goes up and comes down so often for
maintenance/repair and the Optibeam which you barely hear a word about
outright failing.. If you want to compare real world failure rates compare
those two. Who wins? Ahem.

K7NV has also put out warnings about the SteppIR's with trombone elements
being way understated in surface area specs and we hear crickets on this
reflector.
This conversation has clear4ed some things up for me. I was just about to
drop some serious cash on a new crank up tower. I think I'll go with an AN
Wireless tower, the Optibeam Log-Yagi, the JK402T and the K7NV PP.

I have nothing but respect for Kurt. I'm buying his product.

R. Kevin Stover    AC0H

ARRL, FISTS, SKCC, NAQCC.
"If it doesn't work the first time you push the button it won't work the
20th.Just stop."