[TowerTalk] SteppIR wear out (was: Optibeam OBLY14-5)

To: W3YY <w3yy@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR wear out (was: Optibeam OBLY14-5)
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 07:03:32 -0800
On 11/16/2018 12:17 AM, W3YY wrote:
AC0H -

My 4 el SteppIR 20-6M gave me great service for 14 years but has now reached
the end of its useful life.  So am considering the Optibeam and others.

73, Bob - W3YY

I think a lot of SteppIR owners (I own 3) on the reflector
would be interested in what the exact nature of the end
of life situation is for your SteppIR.  My MonstIR is
now 14 years old and going strong.  The only wear out
I am seeing is some UV damage to the fiberglass tubes,
which is more cosmetic than structural at this time.
Same with the smaller models I have, which are even
older.  All of mine pre-date the trombone element versions.
They are all on tilt over towers which makes them easy
to repair, just in case...

73
Rick N6RK