Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:42:45 -0800
I bought a used OptiBeam 11-3.  Your post probably explains why the
previous owner replaced all of the original elements with DX
Engineering tubing.

Kurt has noted -- and I've seen -- some wear issues where the
square U-bolts for the elements meet the square boom. The sharp
corner of the boom causes a stress concentration at that point.
There are some places where the U-bolts have worn a groove into the
boom corners.  I could see where in the long run this could initiate
a stress crack in the boom and could eventually lead to boom failure.

I'm not too concerned about it, but then I have the luxury of a tower

friendly location where high winds are very rare and there's no ice.

73 Jim K6OK