Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex rotator

To: hs0zed@gmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex rotator
From: Steve Lott <lottsphoto@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 06:16:03 -0600
On the unit I had years ago,

The selsyn on the tower
was driven by a small chain from a gear sprocket
on the rotor assembly

That selsyn drove another selsyn that is in the shack on the control box

basically the selsyn are dc motors
the one in the shack has a pointer on it
that is on a dial face showing headings (bearings of the compass)

The unit on the tower drives the one in the shack
(the unit on the tower becomes a small generator)
The down side was chain slippage

I would recommend a more modern approach
either a wireless GPS Compass module around an Ardunio or Rasperry Pi box
with wifi transmitter/receiver
Which is available off the shelf from a place called Ham Station if my
memory on it is any good

I once built a ring of very small relays
and placed a very small but powerful button magnet on the mast
when the magnet was perpendicular to the relay it closed the normally open
contacts
and the relay contacts were wired to the shack panel to illuminate a small
LED
on a rose Compass diagram showing my present beam heading
It was visually appealing in the shack

Cheers!
Steve
KG5VK