Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex rotator
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 06:02:19 -0800
On 11/16/18 4:34 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I had one of these rotators and I never had an issue which was a big step
up from the Hy-Gain HDR-300 that it replaced. Sadly the resale value is
poor and I almost gave it away when I switched to using prop pitch
rotators.

If it were me, I would replace the selsyn with a potentiometer and then
almost any control box would read the direction, especially a Green Heron
where you could calibrate the indication. The remaining issue would be
supplying 120v to the motor. This could be done with relays activated by
the low voltage control box or perhaps W2FU has a better solution.

I don't know - synchros are awfully rugged, basically EMP immune, etc.

A better solution would be to use an Arduino to read the synchro and generate a DC voltage (or RS232 serial message) to the Green Heron.

Maybe the folks at Green Heron might take this on as a product to extend their line?