Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Anchor Bolt source

To: Raymond Benny <rayn6vr@gmail.com>, Andy Brinkley <nc4ab@nc4ab.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Anchor Bolt source
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:20:15 -0800 (PST)
Looking for bolts while getting ready to put up my Rohn 55 tower I found a
serious contractor outlet that had #8 as well as weaker steel bolts and nuts,
washers, etc. But they said you had to have a contractor's license to buy from
them. Years before I had bought the number 8 bolts and nuts for putting the
winch on my Keizer tilt over crank up tower from them no problem. Now, the only
sources I find are lowes, home depote, etc. Even here where logging is still
being done it is hard to find a good source for things like heavy duty bolts
and such. On my tower in Keizer I used 4' all threads about 1/2" or 5/8" shaft
for the tower bolts. That was for a 50' Rohn 25 tilt over tower. Reused them
for the later tower with 50' Rohn 45 and 50' Rohn 25 inside it as a tilt over,
crank up version. That's when I needed the Worm Gear Ramsey 8000# winch and the
#8 bolt/nut hardware. And of course the mounting mechanism was designed to sit
between truck frame C'members. The later Rohn 55 tower hear is
  set into the concrete base so no bolts there and the section bolt were bought
on line for Rohn 55. Custom all the way but at least I did my towers right and
they never feel down (knock on wood).

Keep working the DX guys. I've worked a few new ones on 80 SSB lately out of
Europe. Can be so amazing how the propagation conditions change from hour to
hour. Now if the east cost guys will just give me the chance to say hello to
our friends across the pond.

Terry
KI7M