Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)

To: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)
From: Courtney Judd <k4wi@k4wi.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 13:28:44 -0600
for what it is worth, I have had several quads over the years and my experience has been that they hardly ever have rain static while my yagi's always did.... I do not know the reason though! In the 1970's I had a Hygain 2 el quad at 100 ft and my neighbor a mile away had a th6dxx yagi at 100 ft. I could consistently open the band 15/20 minutes before he did, close the band 15/20 minutes later than he did, and he always complained of rain static when it was never a problem for me. We had identical rigs: Drake C-lines and SB220's ... only difference was the antennas. That's my actual experience! 73's Cort K4WI

Richard Smith <mailto:n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Thursday, December 06, 2018 10:24 AM
Bob and John,
Have either of you had a cubical quad at your station, so that you could switch between a yagi and a quad, and observe whether the quad had lower noise? From what I have read, it seems to be reported very often that a quad is much quieter during times of rain static.
73, Rich, N6KT