Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:51:22 -0500
I have been reading about the lower static of quads for years but I never
tried one. I knew that had nothing to do with element grounding or we
would all ground our Yagi elements. I just searched the interweb and found
the following statement by W8JI:

The blunt ends of a quad at the high impedance voltage points, rather than
the sharp projected tips of a yagi, can reduce the effects of
precipitation static...but that would only occur in inclement weather when
corona is present at element tips. As a matter of fact the quad was
originally popularized just for this reason, to minimize corona under
extreme element voltage conditions. Oddly, this effect has nothing to do
with dc grounding!  It is only related to the blunt ends where the high
impedances were present, and the fact those blunted ends do not protrude
out into open space!

John KK9A

Courtney Judd k4wi at k4wi.net
Thu Dec 6 14:28:44 EST 2018

for what it is worth, I have had several quads over the years and my
experience has been that they hardly ever have rain static while my
yagi's always did.... I do not know the reason though! In the 1970's I
had  a Hygain 2 el quad at 100 ft and my neighbor a mile away had a
th6dxx yagi at 100 ft.  I could consistently open the band 15/20 minutes
before he did, close the band 15/20 minutes later than he did, and he
always complained of rain static when it was never a problem for me. We
had identical rigs: Drake C-lines and SB220's ... only difference was
the antennas. That's my actual experience! 73's Cort K4WI