[TowerTalk] Heating a Ham IV rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heating a Ham IV rotator
From: Frank Davis <invl160@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:32:13 -0330
I am using a Ham IV at my remote station and turning it using 1216L Rotor card
form Remoterig.  I an concerned about turning the antenna in freezing weather
because there is no way to tell remotely if the rotor or brake is sticking.
The 1216L card has relays that are wired in parallel with the switches in the
rotor control box.  To turn the antenna just enter an Azimuth or click a preset
 in the rotor GUI and the relays operate in the correct sequence.

I recall years ago reading about someone  wiring  a small light bulb inside the
rotator that would generate heat while the rotor box is on.   Maybe it was the
same kind of 24v. bulb used in the control box.    Has anybody heard of this
being done and whether or not it might be  effective in generating enough
enclosed heat to keep the rotator warm.?

73
Frank VO1HP

Sent from my iPad