Re: [TowerTalk] Heating a Ham IV rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heating a Ham IV rotator
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:13:42 -0500
When I lived in Chicago I had issues with my TIC Ring Rotor potentiometers
in cold weather. I put small silicone heaters inside the enclosures. These
were designed to prevent freezing, if I recall they automatically turned
on around 40 degrees. This eliminated my issues. If a sticky brake is your
only concern it may be easier to use a rotator without one. None of the
rotators that I have used in the last 25 years have brakes.

John KK9A

Frank Davis invl160 at gmail.com

I am using a Ham IV at my remote station and turning it using 1216L Rotor
card form Remoterig.  I an concerned about turning the antenna in freezing
weather because there is no way to tell remotely if the rotor or brake is
sticking.   The 1216L card has relays that are wired in parallel with the
switches in the rotor control box.  To turn the antenna just enter an
Azimuth or click a preset  in the rotor GUI and the relays operate in the
correct sequence.

I recall years ago reading about someone  wiring  a small light bulb
inside the rotator that would generate heat while the rotor box is on.
Maybe it was the same kind of 24v. bulb used in the control box.    Has
anybody heard of this being done and whether or not it might be  effective
in generating enough enclosed heat to keep the rotator warm.?

73
Frank VO1HP