Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors

To: Charles Gallo <charlie@thegallos.com>, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:24:17 -0800 (PST)
Just a little bit of concern from me. I'm not familiar with the concrete
'blocks' you are going to use. For my 117' Rohn 55 tower I used the 7-8' anchor
rods that go in at an angle in the ground and planted a good 5' or so. They
have a plate at the bottom that screws on and is meant to go up solid again
undisturbed ground as a method for holding. Disturbed (dug up ground) is not to
be trusted or so the explanations tell). In my case I carried 60# sacks of
concrete (25-35) to the holes and poured them in with running the water hose
enough to wet the pour down some. Not constant of course. Nothing fancy as far
as mixing but it worked. To my SW anchor I added more sacks of concrete and the
hole was a bit deeper due to the fact that our biggest wind storms come out of
the SW (cyclones or whatever you want to call them out of the Pacific). Not
usually real bad winds compared to a lot I've heard of but scary enough with
70-80-90 MPH winds. Four sets of guys on it in three directions every 120
degrees.

Mine is a pretty substantia setup and I'd recommend you at least add a lot of
concrete to the holes about 5-6' deep. 150' is a pretty substantial tower. If
you want to see pictures check out my QRZ page.

Terry
KI7M