Re: [TowerTalk] Alpha Spid rotor experiences

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alpha Spid rotor experiences
From: Tony Brock-Fisher via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 14:30:14 -0500
I made this transition recently, after years of T2X headaches. I have two observations:

1. Some folks (not me) have had issues with the mounting bolts loosening up. I would recommend either using Loctite or adding locking nuts so this cannot happen.

2. With my rotor cable run, which was OK for the T2X, I find rotation a bit slow. First I used a 12V supply; then upgraded to 18V, the max you can use with the stock controller. It is still slow, and I am thinking of going with a 24V and relay scheme.

3. The Alfa Spid control box is pretty poor, and has communications issues with software control. While it is supposed to keep track of the position by counting pulses, and remember the position during power cycles, I have had cases where interrupting it in the middle of a transition causes it to lose track, which can result in winding up the coax loop. I would recommend going the route that most smart folks do, which is to delete the Alfa control box and buy a Green Heron.

Other than that I am very pleased with the RAK-1.

-Tony, K1KP