Re: [TowerTalk] Chromoly Mast slipping in a T2X rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chromoly Mast slipping in a T2X rotor
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:20:35 -0600
I forgot to add: you are right in that a 3/32" shim is needed for a 1 7/8" mast.

Kim N5OP

On 12/30/2018 9:41 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I never understood the popularity of 2" masts. Going smaller that 2" gives
even less strength and less surface grip. I do not own a Hy-Gain rotator but
the way I remember them is they have a metal plate the pushed the mast into
the casting V. To center his mast he would need a 3/32 thick shim.  What
material is the shim and does it cover the entire clamping area? Can the
metal clamp plate bend and not allow sufficient tightening? Perhaps
something like Tennadyne slip-nott http://www.tennadyne.com/slipp_nott.htm
could be manufactured for his 1 7/8 mast. Perhaps there is a Stauff clamp
that size. There is also the pinning option but that brings a lot of
controversy - FWIW, I pinned my P40A Ø2 1/2 aluminum masts in to my Yaesu
G-2800 DXA rotators per the manufacturer's instructions and never had an
issue in that windy environment.

73,
John KK9A

Richard Smith n6kt wrote:

A buddy of mine is using a T2X rotor with a 1 7/8" OD chromoly mast. He has
about 13.5 sq ft of antenna surface area attached to the mast, which is well
below the rating of 20 sq ft. The T2X is 10' below a thrust bearing.
The mast has been slipping from time to time (windy conditions), and he was
wondering if something can be done to stop the slippage. I have been using
the K7NV clamp on my Orion 2800's that are clamped to 2" chromoly masts, but
I don't see anything on Kurt's website for a T2X.
Has anyone here on the Reflector had a similar experience and come up with a
good solution?
Thanks, 73, Rich, N6KT

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it doesn’t matter who said it./