[TowerTalk] FW: US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Switch
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 01:08:42 -0600
Hi John & Rick,

Thanks to you both for making much useful information available over the
years - which I have used on many occasions.
I used the term fractional loosely - slang for small single phase cap start
induction motors.
Standard fractional (slang) motor wiring is:

P1 - thermal overload line side
P2 - thermal overload load side
T1 - 120V run winding #1 top side (often internally tied to P2 without an
external lead)
T2 - 120V run winding #1 bottom side
T3 - 120V run winding #2 top side
T4 - 120V run winding #2 bottom side
T5 - 120V start winding top side
T6 - start capacitor (tied internally to bottom side of start winding)
T7 - start capacitor
T8 - tied internally to T7 (this is effectively the bottom side of the start
winding in series with the start capacitor)

To run the motor at 120V we need both run windings operating in parallel
along with the start winding:
Connect 120V line to P1
Tie P2 +T1 (if equipped) + T3 + T5  together
Connect Neutral to T2 + T4 + T8
Connect capacitor to T6 & T7
Ground the frame
To reverse directions swap T5 & T8 (T8  to P2, T5 to neutral)

To run the motor at 240V you need the run windings in series & start winding
in parallel to one of the run winding  (#2 in this case):
Connect 240V phase A to P1
Tie P2 to T1 (if equipped)
Tie T2 + T3 + T5 together   (this is the center tap = ~120V when running)
Connect 240V phase B to T4 + T8
Connect capacitor to T6 & T7
Ground the frame
To reverse directions swap T5 & T8 (T8 to T2/T3, T5 to Phase B)

There is a mirror image alternative 240V wiring which places the start
winding in parallel to run winding #1 in lieu of run winding #2:
Connect 240V phase A to P1
Tie P2 to T1 (if equipped) + T5
Tie T2 + T3 + T8 together   (this is the center tap = ~120V when running)
Connect 240V phase B to T4
Connect capacitor to T6 & T7
Ground the frame
To reverse directions swap T5 & T8 (T8 to P2, T5 to T2/T3)

Best 73 to both of you.
Matt
KM5VI