Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Switch

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Switch
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:47:39 -0500
My MD-750 is 350 feet from the shack, behind a stand of trees. I installed
three conduit runs: one for RF coax/hardline, one for control cables and one
for 240VAC (#10 conductors.) I put a subpanel at the tower to split the 240VAC
into two 120VAC circuits for the tower and an outdoor AC receptacle. At the
time, I didn't realize that the UST control box runs off 120VAC. In addition to
the voltage drop due to the long run, putting an AC cable through a conduit
with low voltage cables is a code violation. There wasn't enough room to run a
thick control cable through the 1" AC conduit, so I built a small 12VDC relay
box to control the AC relays at the tower. That box lives in the relay cabinet
at the tower, and I have a simple switch box in the shack that's powered by
12VDC. The control cable runs to the tower through the low-voltage control
cable conduit. This has worked great for 22 years.

As for raising/lowering the tower remotely, early on I had a near-disaster when
the coax snagged on the motor housing. That problem was solved by reconfiguring
the cable run, adding another cable standoff, and putting a shield around the
bottom of the tower. All this is well-documented in a TowerTalk post I did back
then, probably in 1997 or 1998. I haven't had any issues with remotely
operating the tower in 22 years, other than having to be careful about not
letting the cable get stuck under ice and snow in the winter.

73, Dick WC1M