Re: [TowerTalk] FW: US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Swit

To: Matt <maflukey@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: US Tower Up/Down Raising Fixture (MD-750) Motor Switch
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 07:16:40 -0800
Nice tutorial Matt.  I have archived this posting in my tower folder.
I always wondered why UST fooled with running the motor on 120VAC,
and thought about rewiring it for 240VAC.  I had no idea about
the start winding, etc and letting the smoke out of the motor :-).

An alternative to rewiring the motor is to use a 240V to 120V
transformer located at the tower.  This can be constructed as
an autotransformer using a 10A 120V to 120V isolation transformer
wired with the two windings in series.  That doubles its power
rating while giving up isolation; but you don't need isolation.
Transformers can sometimes be obtained for a song at flea markets,
surplus stores etc.  The price tends to be inversely related to
the size=weight!  Bring a dolly to cart the thing home.  I have
several 5kVA transformers that they threw out at work.  Doing this
saves 75% of the cost of the copper wiring.

One additional comment:  using a motor switch overrides the delay
relays.  This leaves it up to the operator to let the motor stop
turning completely before reversing the direction.  Otherwise it
will run in the wrong direction.  But on my tower, the delay relays
are ineffective when going down, now that I put "improved" oil in
the gear box and the motor takes up to a minute to coast to a
stop on a really hot day.  Another reason I like to be at
the tower and baby sit things rather than have remote control.

73
Rick N6RK