Re: [TowerTalk] Half Wave?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Half Wave?
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 18:03:24 -0500
That’s a REALLY presumptuous response on your part Joe.  I have spent MONTHS of
ACTUAL TIME time modeling antennas of all types over all types of terrain at
multiple qth’s over the past 28 years with at least five different modeling
programs and I guaranty that I have run far more antenna/terrain models of
antennas than you have and far more than most of the people on this reflector.

I don’t live on flat ground and most of the people that I know don’t either;
but even if they did have a flat qth, their patterns would still be affected by
the topography around them as well as soil conductivity, which is why you
should always model your ACTUAL antennas over ACTUAL terrain or else your model
won’t be reasonably accurate and not likely to be particularly useful.

It’s not about how many lobes you have, it is also about how broad or narrow
the lobes are and at what wave angles they are located and how useful those
wave angles are relative to the wave angles that you receive from the high
volume DX areas at your qth.  I suggest that you spend some meaningful time
doing modeling over ACTUAL real-world terrain to see what I am talking about
rather than relying on generalized concepts that may be misleading and highly
inaccurate at a specific qth.

Bob  KQ2M