Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill.....Moxon

To: towertalk@contesting.com, towertalk-request@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill.....Moxon
From: lstoskopf@cox.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:09:27 -0500 (EST)
 Moxon was/is my antenna god.  In his "HF Antennas For All Locations" by RSGB,
p.140, Fig 10.15:

"Uselessness of vertical polarization for the exploitation of steep ground
slopes.  Image is tilted back into the slope so that it is normal to the
direction of propagation and therefore wasted.  It is in any case attenuated
due to the reflection coefficient being less than unity.  Situation is even
worse with antenna normal to the slope as shown dotted."

That may be the reason no one seems to have developed a computer program for
modeling verticals over slopes.  Not worthwhile.  Or maybe difficult.
I always regret that when I attended the RSGB convention way back that Moxon
was too ill to attend.  One of many leaders/thinkers in our hobby worth
remembering.  My SteppIR at the edge of a hill models out on HFTA to work just
as he described well before that program was written.

N0UU

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8088294,-97.5125726,282m/data=!3m1!1e3