[TowerTalk] Height of a tower and terrain

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Height of a tower and terrain
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 22:16:28 +0000 (UTC)
Funny you should mention that...building a tower another 200 ft with no better
results.  My tower in KH6 is limited to only 90 ft by the county.  Looking up
14000 ft Mauna Kea I decided to see what would happen if I magically had a 1000
ft tower for 40 and 80.  Result: still a very attenuated signal below 5 or 6
degrees.  Sometimes you can't defeat mama nature.
KH7XS

My own station has complex topography, and Dean suggested that I take
data out to 14 miles. I ran a LOT of radials at a lot of heights, and
got pretty consistent results. They showed that the 120 ft tower I could
build for my SteppIR was about as good as I could do to get over ridges
to the north and east unless I wanted to add another 200 ft or so. :)? I
consider that very useful and practical information!